Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Putting Out A Grease Fire

Have you ever put out a grease fire? Well, I sure haven`t and from what I hear it's not a pleasant experience and basically an out of control fire where you don`t know where to start. To put it lightly that is how I feel these days as though I am putting out a grease fire. I say this because my health and life has gotten out of control and I do not know where to begin to fix it.  I am tired all the time now, my joints ache, my back hurts and I am pretty sure I can`t run right now because I haven`t ran since September. On top of that my hair and nails are pretty brittle and my skin is not the greatest. This is all due to an out of control fire that I caused and now I don`t know where to begin to start putting it out. So, I am going back to the basics and I am taking baby steps.

Since the new year has approached I hear many people talking about their resolutions to lose weight. In order to reach their goals they turn to pills, shakes and fad diets. Than there are those who turn to exercise and over exert themselves in one to two months and reach burn out phase which eventually leads to giving up and gradual steps in gaining weight again. I say this not to depress you but because I have been there and done that over and over again. If you have been following us since last year than you will know that I have tried pretty much every trick and diet out there to lose weight. I have tried pills, teas, a lot of vitamins, shakes and than special diets. I have done detox diets, soup diets, Special K diet and also the cabbage diet. I can safely say I have probably done more diets in my life than how old I am (27) and I have failed every time. The truth of the matter is, I was not seeing the big picture. I was not facing the fact that there is no quick fix and there is no magic pill and I have no fairy Godmother that is going to wave her wand and make everything wonderful and I live happily ever after. IT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN THAT WAY.

So, what is this big picture that I speak about you may ask? The big picture is that my weight increase and my poor health did not happen over night but instead with gradual bad habits that lead to everything being out of control. It was my decisions that lead to this and now it has to be my decision to get me out of this. Looking back I realize when I was looking for all those quick fixes I was not ready to change my life and that is what we have to do. I have to learn how to make good choices when it comes to food as well as exercise. I need to learn what moderation and portion control is and mostly I need to learn to say NO when food is looking enticing and I do not really need it. Right now I live to eat when in reality I need to eat to live.

Since last Thursday Mike and I have begun our journey towards our lifestyle change and began making small steps. We have not jumped into exercise at this moment but we are focusing on food and making healthy choices. I anticipate February to be the month that we start gradually introducing exercise again in our lives and taking advantage of the gym membership we never use. As of right now I am eating a nutritious breakfast every morning. I am making sure I keep myself fueled with protein throughout the day so I can avoid hunger and binges. I have also focused on drinking lots of water and green tea. I have simply added healthy habits in my life and subtracted several bad.

I am very excited for Thursday to come so we can begin sharing with you our weight loss and pictures! I have a feeling I have lost a couple pounds but I am not sure. I can tell you I am feeling slightly better this week and not as tired. On a side note I started my classes yesterday and am looking forward to a very good semester !

Until Thursday so long our faithful followers,
Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment